Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Trains

My son, Patrick, just loves trains. I'm not too sure where he developed this fascination with trains from because we didn't have trains at home or have movies about trains. But, he is now obsessed with them to the point that he tries to make everything into trains. He will make trains by pushing chairs into each other, by connecting cars together using string, and the other day he wanted to make trains from cookie cutters using tape. He came up to me with the cookie cutters that are in the shape of various vehicles and asked me to tape them together. Of course, he brought the masking tape as well.


He is such a creative boy and a boy who has impressive problem solving skills! I have been worried about him a lot lately because he doesn't like to speak. I read to him for over 30 minutes a day, explain what I am doing, and try to teach new words. He knows the words because I catch him saying them, but he just doesn't like to speak. We are probably going to get him tested and start doing speech therapy. I feel like I have failed him because I'm his mom and haven't done my job. I have struggled with these feelings for almost a year now as I see so many children his age speaking in sentences, and then I see my son who barely speaks a few words at a time. Anyways, I have digressed and that issue is a post for another time.

The other day we were going shopping, and we got stopped by the railroad crossing signs. A train had to cross the road, and Patrick was so thrilled. If Patrick wasn't with me, I know I would be annoyed because the train delayed me. However, I'm grateful that Patrick was with me because I got to take a moment to sit back and enjoy the train through my child's eyes. Life has so many adventures and beauties in it! I just need to take a step back from my list of tasks to do and appreciate the little things. Patrick ended up talking about the train all day long, and I'm grateful we got to see the train.

What things do your children like? How do you appreciate the little things the life gives to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment