Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Checklist

This is a post for me. This is a post that I write so I can become a better person, wife, and mother. I am the type of person that loves to have everything turn out actually as I plan. I hate when things don't go as planned. I also am the person that plans for the future and can end up finding myself wishing for future days to be here now. I sometimes get caught up thinking it would be nice when my kids can do things for themselves and how nice it would be when they don't need my constant attention so I can get my things done.

I find myself focusing on my checklist of things I need to get done such as:
  • Make breakfast, lunch, and dinner
  • Wash and dry cloth diapers
  • Do laundry
  • Clean kitchen from all the cooking
  • Clean up toys
  • Dust or vacuum (depending on the day of the week)
  • Check email
  • Keep clean diapers on kiddos
  • Get myself ready for the day
  • Get kiddos ready for bed
  • Reading/journaling
  • etc.
And, I do a pretty good job at my getting my checklist done. I feel like I'm an okay mom for at least keeping up with all the household chores. When I start looking at things I have mentally checked off, I notice how I have forgotten what is truly important. I guess this Christmas season of trying to put Jesus Christ as the center of the celebration has caused me to do much reflection and evaluation of my character.

I noticed that these items on my checklist have taken precedent, and I am putting my husband and kiddos second. I am not saying that having a clean and orderly home is bad. I am saying that there needs to be a balance. I see how much my kiddos are changing, and soon there will be a time where they won't come to me wanting to be held, to play cars, or tell me about their amazing discovery. I don't want to miss out on those moments. I don't want to miss out building a trusting and loving relationship together.

I am truly humbled by the quiet promptings of the spirit telling me that I need to set aside these good things so I can do the better things. What will I remember years down the road: a clean orderly house and a mom who gets exasperated because she must clean or do her things, or a house with small messes and the memories of playing with my kiddos and having those precious moments where we spend time together doing what they want to do. I choose my family.




Here is my checklist that I need to do everyday:
  • Cuddle and hug my boys a little longer
  • Hold my boys tighter when they are crying instead of groaning inside saying not again
  • Come join them as they play with their toys and use their imagination
  • Read them stories especially stories about Jesus and other prophets
  • Tell my boys constantly how much I love them
  • When my boys need my attention, stop what I am doing and give them that attention
  • And, of course, read scriptures and pray
I know that by putting my family first on my checklist, then our relationships will be stronger. I know that choosing these better things, then my life will be blessed. I know that priortizing my time the way it really should be, then everything will work out.

I am so grateful for this beautiful Christmas season!

What is on your checklist?




No comments:

Post a Comment