Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Gratitude Box

Christmas is a such a special time of year for me. I love the Christmas trees, the lights, the giving of presents, and the love that people are more willing to give to each other. Christmas is also a time for me to reflect on the birth of my savior, Jesus Christ.

Recently, I have noticed that I have spent less time thinking of Christ and more time thinking about what I need to buy and what I think I need or my family needs. Once I truly noticed this, I was taken back by my selfishness. I was ashamed that I focused so much on what I wanted instead of what I have already been given. I was saddened that I spent more time thinking of me instead of people around me.

So I decided that a new Howell family tradition will be the gratitude box. I actually can't take credit for this one because I read about it in a small article that was published in the Ensign (magazine published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). I discovered it when I was clipping out pictures to make a picture book for my kiddos. Anyways, I really liked the idea of continuing Thanksgiving all through Christmas.


Each day you challenge yourself (and your other family members) to write at least one thing that you are grateful for. When you think of something you are grateful for, you then write it down on a slip of paper and place it in the gratitude box. If you think of more, then you will slip those in too. And once you get started, it is hard to stop. You continue this habit until Christmas Eve where you sit down as a family and read all the slips of paper.


I think this will be a wonderful way to show gratitude to my Heavenly Father and my Savior for all that they have done for me. I feel that this will help my family grow closer to each other and closer to God.

What do you do to make Christmas special?

No comments:

Post a Comment